By administering immediate care during one emergency, friend can assist an ill or hurt person before EMS, Emergency medical Services arrive. And you may be able to assist save a life. However, even after training, mental the right first aid actions – and also administering them correctly – deserve to be difficult. In bespeak to assist you supply the right care at the right time, we"ve created this straightforward step-by-step overview that you deserve to print up and place on her refrigerator, in your car, in your bag or at her desk.
You are watching: American red cross first aid video
Find a Class
Select a class TypeOnline OnlyFirst AidCPRAEDBLS/CPR for HealthcareALS/PALSBabysitting & boy CareSkills SessionsLifeguardingSwimming + Water SafetyNurse Assistant/CNA TrainingNurse Assistant/CNA TestingInstructor Training
Use mine location
1 prior to administering treatment to an ill or hurt person, check the scene and the person. Size up the step and form an early stage impression.
Pause and looks in ~ the scene and the person prior to responding. Price the following questions:
- Is the scene for sure to enter?
- What happened?
- just how many civilization are involved?
- What is mine initial impression around the nature that the person’s disease or injury? walk the human have any life-threatening conditions, such together severe, life-threatening bleeding?
- Is everyone else available to help?
2If the person is awake and also Responsive and also there is no serious life-threatening bleeding:
- attain consent: tell the human your name, describes kind and level the training, claims what you thinks is wrong and also what girlfriend plans to do, and asks permission to provide care.
- phone call a bystander to get the AED and an initial aid kit: suggest to a bystander and also speak the end loud.
- Use proper PPE: put on gloves, if available.
- Interview the person: offers SAMPLE questions to gather an ext information around signs and symptoms, allergies, medications, pertinent medical history, last food or drink and events leading as much as the incident.
- conduct a head-to-toe check: examine head and neck, shoulders, chest and abdomen, hips, legs and feet, arms and also hands for indicators of injury.
- administer care constant with knowledge and also training according to the problems you find.
3 If the Person shows up Unresponsive:
Shout to get the person’s attention, using the person’s name if that is known. If there is no response, madness the who shoulder (if the person is one adult or child) or the bottom of the person’s foot (if the human being is an infant) and also shout again, while checking for normal breathing. Inspect for Responsiveness and also breathing for no much more than 5-10 seconds.
4 If the person is breathing:
- Send someone to contact 911 or the designated emergency number and also obtain an AED and very first aid kit.
- proceed with gathering details from bystanders making use of the SAMPLE concerns
- conduct a head-to-toe check.
- roll the person onto his or her side into a recovery place if there room no evident signs the injury.
5 If the human is not breathing:
- Send who to call 911 or the designated emergency number and also obtain an AED and an initial aid kit.
- Ensure that the person is face-up ~ above a firm, level surface such as the floor or ground.
- start CPR (starting with compressions) or use an AED if one is immediately available, if you room trained in providing CPR and using an AED.
- proceed administering CPR till the human being exhibits indications of life, such as breathing, an AED becomes available, or EMS or trained medical responders arrive on scene.
Note: end CPR if the step becomes unsafe or you cannot continue due to exhaustion.
See more: How Many Nfl Teams Are There Any Undefeated Nfl Teams Are Still Undefeated?
To watch the procedures to perform an initial aid and also learn just how to administer care properly, watch our videos:
You can additionally sign up because that a get an initial Aid/CPR/AED certified, whereby you"ll find out the latest techniques and earn a two-year certification in first aid native the American Red Cross.