Moms throughout the country confront a vulnerable balancing act in between their work and family life. Luckily, some cities make it far simpler than others.
You are watching: Best places for single moms to live
byTom AndersonMarch 20, 2019|Money
Over the previous several decades, two concurrent patterns have influenced motherhood in the U.S. The an initial trend is the women today are much more likely to end up being mothers 보다 they were ten year ago. The second is that, contrasted to previous generations, today’s mother are an ext likely to it is in in the workforce—putting in more hours external of the home.
Women now comprise almost fifty percent of the labor force and also 73.7 percent the mothers choose to work, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. This method that an ext women confront a breakable balancing act in between work and also family, and many households must rely on child treatment when both parents space at the office.
Despite positive alters in employment, the typical woman still earns less than the typical man. The pay gap for permanent workers hovers approximately 80.8 percent — an innovation over the past, yet far native equal. With the nationwide average cost of child care reaching $11,959 (roughly 30 percent the the usual woman’s salary), making tiny changes to reduce these costs or increase earnings — whether by transforming jobs, locations, or both — can go a long means towards boosting financial security and quality that life.
Fortunately, some areas are far much better for working mothers than others, based on factors like mean salaries, fairy gaps, joblessness rates, labor force participation and the expense of kid care amongst others. To uncover these cities, Haven Life analyzed the largest 200 cities in the U.S. And also created a composite score based upon the complying with metrics:Median income for full time female employees (25 points)Women’s income as a percentage of men’s (20 points)Unemployment price of mother (20 points)Percentage the married-couple mother in the workforce (10 points)Length of women’s work-related week (including commute) (10 points)State average expense of child treatment (15 points)
Here’s what Haven Life found:
TakeawaysWhile the national sex pay void is 80.8 percent, Oakland, Calif., (ranked together the fourth finest city for working moms) stands the end as among three large cities in the U.S. Where women earn slightly more than men.Holding other factors equal, contrasted with solitary moms, mothers in married-couple households with one more earner have more flexibility in picking whether come work. This is why the portion of married mothers in the workforce was used to show where much more moms pick to work also when there is much less financial press to carry out so. Madison, Wis., Lexington, Ky., and Minneapolis (ranked second, third, and eighth overall) stand out as having actually a larger percentage the married mother in the labor force than virtually any various other city in the nation.The average cost of center-based infant treatment in the U.S. Is currently close come $12,000 every year, which account for more than 30 percent the women’s full-time earnings. Southern says offer an ext affordable child care choices than says in the Northeast or top top the West Coast.Not a solitary Northeast city is represented in the top 20 ideal cities for working moms. Based upon the composite score, urban in the West, the South, and also the Midwest have tendency to offer far better conditions for females balancing work and family life.
The 20 peak cities for functioning moms
20. McKinney, TexasMedian earnings for permanent female workers: $52,177Women’s income as a percent of men’s: 72.4 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 1.8 percentPercentage the married-couple mothers in the workforce: 72.8 percentLength the women’s job-related week: 41.4 hoursState average cost of kid care: $9,102
The labor force participation price for married mother in McKinney is 72.8 percent, slightly higher than the U.S. Average, and also women earn a high median salary the $52,177. McKinney’s close proximity come the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area provides it ideal for specialists looking to flourish their career. Several of the biggest employers in Dallas incorporate American Airlines, bank of America, and Raytheon. Together a place to live, McKinney maintains the small-town feel while offering many shops, restaurants, and also art galleries for entertainment. For weekend fun, the Towne Lake Recreation Area is a regional park that is perfect for family members to picnic, fish, pat outdoor sports, or rental paddle boats.
19. Chandler, ArizonaMedian earnings for permanent female workers: $51,188Women’s income as a percent of men’s: 83.7 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 4.4 percentPercentage the married-couple mother in the workforce: 75.0 percentLength the women’s job-related week: 41.9 hoursState average expense of kid care: $10,687
Located around 20 miles external of Phoenix, Chandler is a suburban town through the trappings of a big city. Full-time female workers make a median salary that $51,188, while the state’s average expense of child care is $10,687 — about 10 percent listed below the national average. Some of the top sectors in Chandler encompass aviation & aerospace, high-tech manufacturing, IT, and also healthcare. Chandler is located half an hour far from the bigger cities the Tempe, Mesa, and also Phoenix, further expanding employment avenues for functioning mothers. For those who are an ext entrepreneurial, Chandler likewise offers an advancements Incubator because that startups and also emerging businesses. Within the city, public art exhibits and performance venues include to the social scene, when recreational locations like Tumbleweed Park sell myriad outdoor tasks for families.
18. Seattle, WashingtonMedian revenue for full-time female workers: $62,997Women’s earnings as a portion of men’s: 77.5 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 4.1 percentPercentage that married-couple mothers in the workforce: 74.4 percentLength of women’s occupational week: 41.9 hoursState average price of child care: $14,208
Seattle is well-known for much more than the an are Needle and also Starbucks. It’s also an ideal city because that young professionals and also their families. Career opportunities are abundant in sectors such as IT, green technology, hospitality, and film, while famous businesses such together Starbucks, Costco, and also Amazon are additionally headquartered in the Seattle metro. An added bonus is the the state that Washington has actually no earnings tax, which gives a little extra money because that fun tasks and savings. External of the office, natural wonders prefer the Cascade and also Olympic hill ranges, the Puget Sound, exploration Park, and also Lake Washington room perfect for outdoor recreation, while museums, live music, and wine tastings are renowned indoor activities. Also though the average expense of child treatment in Washington is over average, women’s wages in Seattle far exceed the nationwide median, do child treatment proportionally less expensive.
17. Albuquerque, brand-new MexicoMedian income for permanent female workers: $40,371Women’s revenue as a percentage of men’s: 87.8 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 4.3 percentPercentage that married-couple mother in the workforce: 74.1 percentLength that women’s occupational week: 40.1 hoursState average expense of kid care: $8,412
Nestled in the Sandia Mountains, Albuquerque combine the comforts of huge city living with easy access to nature. Famous outdoor tasks include hiking, biking, and skiing. Background buffs will likewise love the aboriginal American background celebrated transparent the city in a range of galleries, historic sites, and also museums. Some of the most popular industries in Albuquerque include media, technology, bioscience, and semiconductors and electronics. Defense and research tasks are an especially prominent in Albuquerque due to the existence of Sandia national Labs, Kirtland Air force Base, and also Honeywell. Albuquerque has actually one of the lowest mean salaries for women, at $40,371, but additionally a much shorter work week at 40.1 hrs (including time spent commuting). The state’s average child care cost that $8,412 is additionally well below the national average.
16. Scottsdale, ArizonaMedian revenue for full-time female workers: $59,933Women’s earnings as a percentage of men’s: 78.9 percentUnemployment price of mothers: 1.9 percentPercentage the married-couple mother in the workforce: 59.1 percentLength that women’s work week: 42.0 hoursState average cost of boy care: $10,687
At 59.1 percent, Scottsdale has the lowest percentage of mother in the workforce on this list. Yet women who do work-related earn a median salary that $59,933, far over the national median. Situated just outside of Phoenix, Scottsdale is a Southwest city that boasts a bustling tourism sector with around 9 million visitors every year. The Old town district celebrate its heritage as a cowboy town and also is filled v saloons, cultural centers, and museums dedicated to cowboy history. As well as employment in tourism and also hospitality, numerous professionals in Scottsdale are engaged in areas like technology, bioscience, and financial services. Families can reap various activities such together hiking, mountain biking, and also horseback talk at surrounding parks, and Camelback Mountain and also Pinnacle Peak.
15. Portland, OregonMedian earnings for full-time female workers: $46,640Women’s earnings as a percentage of men’s: 88.0 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 2.5 percentPercentage of married-couple mother in the workforce: 74.6 percentLength the women’s job-related week: 40.4 hoursState average cost of son care: $13,292
In Portland, women earn much more than those typical throughout the rest of the U.S.; however, the state’s high price of child treatment will balance out a portion of the difference. Regardless, Portland has earned attention in current years as a location for millennials and also their families. Like countless of the other significant cities on this list, Portland is a burgeoning tech hub and also jobs are obtainable at labor such together Intel Corporation, Google, and also Oracle, and Nike in adjacent Beaverton. Oregon has actually no sales tax, which likewise eases the financial load of life in a large city. Family members can reap several fun activities together, such together skiing on mount Hood or wade through woodland Park. Grocery stores and restaurants in Portland cater come a selection of diets, including vegan, vegetarian, or paleo. Citizens must no mind the rain, despite — Portland is well-known for that high precipitation.
14. Nashville, TennesseeMedian income for permanent female workers: $41,008Women’s earnings as a portion of men’s: 92.9 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 3.5 percentPercentage the married-couple mother in the workforce: 73.9 percentLength of women’s work week: 41.7 hoursState average expense of son care: $8,524
Nashville is well-known for much more than its country music scene. Even though there’s no shortage of musician or festival planners in Nashville, the city also has a existence in sectors such together healthcare, education, and financial services. Among Nashville’s largest employers, the Vanderbilt University clinical System, employs an ext than 20,000 people. Women in Nashville earn slightly much less than the nationwide median, but Tennessee’s low child care costs will help stretch earnings further. Family members can explore green spaces such together Centennial Park or attend festivals and also live music events. Since Nashville is geographically spread out out, the is most basic to get about with a car, return there room public transportation options too.
13. Boise, IdahoMedian income for full-time female workers: $38,652Women’s income as a percent of men’s: 81.5 percentUnemployment price of mothers: 2.2 percentPercentage the married-couple mother in the workforce: 71.1 percentLength that women’s work week: 37.4 hoursState average cost of child care: $7,296
With a typical salary of $38,652, Boise females earn listed below the nationwide median, but also enjoy shorter work main (37.4 hrs including commute times) and lower expenses of child treatment ($7,296). Boise prides chin on its diversified economy, ranging from much more traditional sectors such as farming and federal government to more contemporary industries together as an innovation and healthcare. Some of the city’s significant employers incorporate Hewlett Packard, St. Luke’s health and wellness System, and also Micron Technology. Boise’s family-friendly activities are just as diversified together the economy. Local theaters, movie under the stars, and also institutions such together the Basque Museum and social Center are excellent entertainment alternatives for families.
12. Charleston, south CarolinaMedian revenue for permanent female workers: $43,475Women’s earnings as a portion of men’s: 85.0 percentUnemployment price of mothers: 3.4 percentPercentage that married-couple mother in the workforce: 76.2 percentLength that women’s work-related week: 41.1 hoursState average cost of child care: $6,840
Cobblestone streets and Georgian-style architecture dot the landscape of this charming southerly city. Travel is a major industry here, as well as military operations, higher education, and also technology. Charleston’s optimal employers encompass the joint air force/naval base, manufacturers such as Boeing and also Volvo, and also colleges & universities such as the university of Charleston and also the clinical University of southern Carolina. The pay void for Charleston women is 85 percent—more favorable 보다 the national pay void of 80.5 percent — and women knife a median salary that $43,475. In ~ $6,840, southern Carolina’s average child treatment costs are among the shortest in the country. Charleston uses a colorful nightlife, proximity to the beaches at Isle of Palms and multiple historic sites.
11. Austin, TexasMedian revenue for full time female workers: $48,902Women’s income as a portion of men’s: 93.2 percentUnemployment price of mothers: 2.7 percentPercentage of married-couple mothers in the workforce: 61.1 percentLength of women’s job-related week: 41.6 hoursState average cost of child care: $9,102
The funding city of Texas, Austin has come to be a hotspot for millennials and also young families in current years. Females earn a average salary the $48,902, accountancy for a pay space of only 93.2 percent. However, only 61.1 percent the mothers take part in the job force, much reduced than in the U.S. Overall. Austin has actually no personal income tax, and work is obtainable in fields ranging from clean technology to digital media to an are technology. Austin is becoming a major tech hub, and also companies such as Facebook, Google, Apple, and also Dell have actually corporate offices there. On weekends, residents deserve to cool turn off in Barton Springs, reap live music, or visit one of the city’s countless parks and also lakes.
10. Naperville, IllinoisMedian earnings for full-time female workers: $65,790Women’s earnings as a percent of men’s: 69.5 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 1.6 percentPercentage that married-couple mothers in the workforce: 70.7 percentLength that women’s job-related week: 39.5 hoursState average cost of son care: $13,474
About an hour west of Chicago, the tiny city that Naperville is well-known for being family friendly and professionally-oriented. Ladies in Naperville knife a typical salary that $65,790, much higher than the nationwide median, but likewise 30.5 percent less than males in Naperville. In addition to the higher salaries, Illinois has greater child care costs, in ~ $13,474 per year. The greatest industries in Naperville incorporate professional, scientific & technological services, and also healthcare & society assistance. The city’s biggest employers space Edward Hospital & health and wellness Services, Nokia, and Naperville windy schools. Throughout the summer, family members in Naperville are regularly seen swimming or sunbathing at Centennial beach or meandering down the Riverwalk, a wade trail follow me the DuPage River. The city’s historical district showcases range of stunning architecture, while shops and restaurants in the downtown area ensure over there is always plenty come do.
9. Tallahassee, FloridaMedian income for permanent female workers: $37,889Women’s revenue as a percent of men’s: 91.9 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 4.9 percentPercentage the married-couple mother in the workforce: 74.4 percentLength the women’s occupational week: 36.8 hoursState average price of kid care: $9,018
The state capital of Florida is residence to number of universities, consisting of Florida State University and Florida A&M University, contributing come the college town atmosphere and offering many opportunities for employment. Aside from education, the fastest cultivation industries in Tallahassee are professional services, healthcare, hospitality, and trade-transportation & logistics. Tallahassee is house to multiple social institutions, including the Tallahassee car Museum, Goodwood Museum and also Gardens, Jackson Mounds archaeological State Park, and also San luis Mission Park. Also though Tallahassee ladies earn slightly less than the national median, the gender pay space in Tallahassee is narrow and also the average cost of child care in Florida is also on the low end.
8. Minneapolis, MinnesotaMedian income for full time female workers: $50,074Women’s earnings as a portion of men’s: 94.5 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 4.0 percentPercentage of married-couple mothers in the workforce: 78.3 percentLength that women’s work-related week: 39.5 hoursState average price of kid care: $15,704
One the the twin Cities, Minneapolis is home to sites consisting of the mall of America, the rock Arch Bridge, and also the Mississippi River. Women that live in Minneapolis knife a typical salary that $50,074, virtually the exact same amount earn by men. Because of the proximity come Saint Paul, specialists living in Minneapolis have actually the advantage of picking to work in either of Minnesota’s two financial powerhouses. This metro area prides itself on being residence to more Fortune 500 service providers per capita than any kind of other city in the world, and work is accessible in markets such as financial services, technology, and renewable energy. Back the city is known for its harsh winters, the Skyway system, a series of interconnected, attached bridges, provides walking around in the cold lot easier. When the weather is warmer, families can visit the city’s plenty of parks, lakes, and also wetlands.
7. Orange, CaliforniaMedian earnings for permanent female workers: $51,210Women’s earnings as a portion of men’s: 99.4 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 2.3 percentPercentage the married-couple mothers in the workforce: 63.3 percentLength that women’s work week: 39.3 hoursState average cost of boy care: $16,542
Aptly named for its history of orange groves, the city of Orange is situated in southern California and surrounded by other large cities such as Irvine, Anaheim, and also Fullerton. The pay gap in Orange is virtually nonexistent, and also women knife a median salary the $51,210. However, the portion of Orange mothers in the workforce is reduced than the nationwide percentage. Tasks in greater Orange county are plentiful in areas such as business & experienced services, finance, healthcare, tourism, and also information technology. Children are likely to love this small suburban city since it is only a couple of miles far from Disneyland in Anaheim (which is one of the region’s biggest employers, too). Outdoor tasks for family members in Orange incorporate hiking follow me Peter’s Canyon trail or acquisition a drive to the beach.
6. Santa Rosa, CaliforniaMedian revenue for full-time female workers: $48,167Women’s income as a percent of men’s: 95.3 percentUnemployment price of mothers: 1.2 percentPercentage of married-couple mothers in the workforce: 70.0 percentLength that women’s work-related week: 38.9 hoursState average cost of child care: $16,542
Santa Rosa is located about 50 mile north of mountain Francisco in the heart of Sonoma Valley, California’s alcohol country. Neighborhood vineyards sell a plethora of wine selections, when farmers industries offer the freshest produce. Aside from agriculture and tourism, Santa Rosa’s well-balanced economy consists of industries such as high-tech manufacturing, government services, education, and healthcare. Females working in Santa Rosa earn a median salary that $48,167, practically as much as men. In ~ 1.2 percent, Santa Rosa has the lowest unemployment rate for mother on this list. In ~ the city itself, festivals, public art exhibits, and numerous parks ensure there is plenty for family members to carry out over the weekend.
5. Mountain Francisco, CaliforniaMedian earnings for permanent female workers: $76,500Women’s earnings as a percent of men’s: 91.1 percentUnemployment price of mothers: 5.1 percentPercentage the married-couple mother in the workforce: 70.8 percentLength of women’s work-related week: 44.5 hoursState average cost of child care: $16,542
San Francisco is well-known for that is high prices, proximity come the bay, and its prospering tech scene. The an essential sectors in the san Francisco economy are the & software, society & digital media, life sciences & biotech, ecological & cleantech, professional services, and also international business. Some of the city’s significant employers include Wells Fargo, Salesforce, Uber, Deloitte, and also Amazon. In ~ $76,500, mountain Francisco has actually the highest median earnings for full time female workers on this list, but also the longest occupational week for women (including commute times). Exterior of work, occupants in san Francisco have the right to enjoy a vibrant arts scene, nightlife, and the smorgasbord that restaurants that have earned the city a reputation as a foodie’s paradise.
4. Oakland, CaliforniaMedian income for permanent female workers: $56,991Women’s income as a portion of men’s: 103.6 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 3.1 percentPercentage of married-couple mothers in the workforce: 69.6 percentLength that women’s job-related week: 42.7 hoursState average expense of kid care: $16,542
Oakland is situated a couple of miles far from mountain Francisco, offering proximity to the mountain Francisco job industry with lower real estate costs. Major employers in Oakland encompass Kaiser Permanente, local and also state government, and a variety of local hospitals. Ladies in Oakland knife a mean salary the $56,991. Oakland is the only city ~ above this list wherein women earn more money than men, proceeding the tendency of California cities having actually smaller pay gaps contrasted to the remainder of the cities on this list. Because that outdoor recreation, Oakland is residence to the Claremont Canyon Fire Trail and also a lagoon referred to as Lake Merritt, both of which space perfect for visiting during sunny summer days. Kids will enjoy attractions such together the Children’s Fairyland amusement park, the Oakland Zoo, and the Chabot room and science Center.
3. Lexington, KentuckyMedian income for full-time female workers: $40,713Women’s income as a portion of men’s: 87.5 percentUnemployment rate of mothers: 2.5 percentPercentage the married-couple mother in the workforce: 78.9 percentLength the women’s work week: 39.2 hoursState average price of kid care: $6,258
Kentucky supplies the lowest expense of child care of any type of state stood for on this list, at $6,258 per year. Lexington women also earn a mean salary of $40,713, slightly lower than the national median. The university of Kentucky is the city’s biggest employer, when state and local government, wellness systems and also hospitals, and manufacturing and also distribution framework are other major sources of employed staff opportunities. For recreation, the Kentucky equine Park is popular among families through kids. Lexington is additionally home come a range of festivals and events such together the Festival the the Bluegrass and also the Kentucky Crawfish Festival.
2. Madison, WisconsinMedian earnings for full-time female workers: $48,243Women’s earnings as a portion of men’s: 86.9 percentUnemployment price of mothers: 2.6 percentPercentage that married-couple mothers in the workforce: 82.3 percentLength the women’s work-related week: 37.3 hoursState average price of boy care: $12,268
At 82.3 percent, Madison is the city ~ above this list with the highest possible percentage of married mother in the workforce. Madison’s vital industries space manufacturing, agriculture, healthcare, details technology, and life sciences. Students indigenous the regional University that Wisconsin – Madison add to the city’s youthful atmosphere, while the university and also its affiliated health and wellness system account because that a significant number of regional jobs. Madison is situated between Lake Mendota and also Lake Monona, giving ample methods for water sports and also beach-going. Madison is a extremely walkable and also bikeable city, and many inhabitants opt to travel without a car.
1. Arlington, VirginiaMedian revenue for full time female workers: $76,438Women’s income as a percentage of men’s: 84.0 percentUnemployment price of mothers: 2.9 percentPercentage of married-couple mothers in the workforce: 77.3 percentLength the women’s job-related week: 44.5 hoursState average expense of child care: $13,728
Arlington is located exterior of Washington, D.C., and many citizens commute indigenous Arlington come the nation’s funding every day making use of the city’s comprehensive rail system. Women in Arlington earn a typical salary that $76,438, and the pay space is narrower than the U.S. Average. Significant industries because that Arlington residents encompass medical technology, education technology, cybersecurity, media & publishing, and also nonprofit management. Arlington is recognized for its historical character and also charm, with regional sites including Arlington national Cemetery, mountain Vernon, and the Manassas Battlefield. Average child treatment costs of $13,728 in Virginia room slightly higher than the national average, however still less than 20 percent of the typical salary because that women.
All employment-related statistics are from the U.S. Census bureau 2017 American neighborhood Survey 1-Year Estimates. Child treatment cost estimates are indigenous the boy Care aware 2018 Report: The U.S. And the High cost of boy Care, which considered the annual cost that center-based infant care. Kid Care conscious does not report this data because that Montana or south Dakota.
For every city, a composite score to be calculated based upon the complying with metrics:Median income for permanent female workers: 25 pointsWomen’s revenue as a portion of men’s: 20 pointsUnemployment price of mothers: 20 pointsPercentage that married-couple mothers in the workforce: 10 pointsLength that women’s occupational week (including commuting): 10 pointsState average cost of boy care: 15 points
Only the 200 most populous cities in the United says were considered.
Haven Life Insurance company LLC (Haven Life) conducted this analysis for educational/informational purposes only. Haven Life is an digital life insurance agency offering ax life insurance approve by Massachusetts shared Life insurance Company. Haven Life does not provide tax, legal, investment, or housing/real heritage advice, and also the info in the study have to not be relied on as such. You must consult your very own tax, legal, investment, and also other advisors, as appropriate, prior to engaging in any kind of transaction.
Our editorial policy
Haven Life is a client centric life insurance company that’s backed and wholly owned by Massachusetts common Life Insurance company (MassMutual). We think navigating decisions about life insurance, your an individual finances and also overall wellness can be refreshingly simple.
Our contents is produced for educational purposes only. Haven Life does no endorse the companies, products, solutions or strategies debated here, yet we expect they have the right to make your life a tiny less tough if they are a right for your situation.
Haven Life is not authorized to offer tax, legit or investment advice. This product is not intended to provide, and should no be relied on because that tax, legal, or investment advice. Individuals are urged to seeds advice indigenous their very own tax or legit counsel.
Haven hatchet is a term Life Insurance plan (DTC and also ICC17DTC in specific states, including NC) issued by Massachusetts common Life Insurance firm (MassMutual), Springfield, MA 01111-0001 and offered solely through Haven Life insurance Agency, LLC. In NY, Haven ax is DTC-NY 1017. In CA, Haven hatchet is DTC-CA 042017. Haven Term simplified is a Simplified issue Term Life Insurance policy (ICC19PCM-SI 0819 in details states, consisting of NC) issued by the C.M. Life insurance Company, Enfield, CT 06082. Policy and rider type numbers and features might vary by state and also may no be accessible in every states. Our firm license number in California is OK71922 and also in Arkansas 100139527.
See more: Realistic Toy Guns Are Airsoft Guns Legal In Nj, Bb Guns, Airsoft Guns, Pellet Guns
MassMutual is rated by A.M. Best firm as A++ (Superior; Top category of 15). The rating is together of Aril 1, 2020 and also is subject to change. MassMutual has received various ratings from other rating agencies.
Haven Life to add (Plus) is the marketing name for the plus rider, which is consisted of as part of the Haven ax policy and offers accessibility to additional services and also benefits at no price or at a discount. The driver is not easily accessible in every state and is subject to change at any time. Neither Haven Life nor MassMutual room responsible because that the provision of the benefits and services made easily accessible under the add to Rider, which are listed by third party merchants (partners). For more information about Haven Life Plus, please visit: https://vxcialistoufjg.com/plus.html